Monday, April 2, 2012

Package Day


Firstly: HAPPY AUTISM AWARENESS DAY!! Did you wear blue? Justin, Kole, and I did. :)

If you are just now joining us, welcome! If you read yesterday's post and are back for more, welcome back! And thank you for reading!

Now, today I was supposed to finish that [insert foul word here] pair of stockings, however, failed to do so. I need the glue that stops ribbons from fraying. I thought I had some here, but I guess I was wrong. :( So I decided to do shirts, but soon realized that wasn't going to happen either since my sister and grandmother were coming to kidnap my son and I for a little clothes shopping. (She has a job interview tomorrow! And another one next week!! I'm so proud!) So hey, got my Easter clothes out of the way, but alas, no sewing again today. (Not a Christian, just practice the holidays with my Christian family. Lol.) Maybe tomorrow has more sewing in store for me?

Well, as you can see, today was Package Day! :D I came home to find a box on the porch waiting for me to gather it up and open it. Inside were two of my Amazon orders for my business. The first order was a bookkeeping record, receipts, plastic bags, and bubble mailers. The second was Ball-Jointed Dolls for Beginners and Starting a Business on Etsy for Dummies. Two books to help me in my new quest of this expensive hobby, and this ridiculous idea of a store. >.< Lol.
The only thing that bothered me about these packages is the BJD for Beginners... It made me feel as if the doll I chose was not a good doll. The author's opinions seem to follow that of Den of Angels, an online, invite-only, American, BJD community that says that dolls must be made of resin, laced with elastic, and have a certain number of ball-joints to qualify as a BJD. My doll is NOT elastic laced and is made of vinyl, but someone, whom I had the great fortune of meeting recently, informed me that she has ball-joints and thus is a BJD, just not a traditional one. So, thank you, mystery doll vendor who shall stay anonymous for now until I have permission to write your name, you made me feel much better about the whole situation and taught me an immense amount of things in a 45 minute period. -^_^-

So, for those of you out there thinking, "My Obitsu is a BJD too!", right on! And for those of you putting us down, last time I checked, BJD stands for "Ball-Jointed Doll", and our Obitsu is just that, a doll with ball joints capable of human poses.

Personally, I like that my doll is soft. -^_^- It makes her seem more human than doll. Her "skin" actually feels like skin! Her boobs even smoosh! I like that she seems more real than a resin doll does... And is less shiny... Lol.

But don't get me wrong, I DO plan on having resin, traditionally laced, BJD. The two I'm in love with now are 46cm Island Doll Wallace and 25cm FairyLand LittleFee Rolly. "Wallace" would be a good partner for "Alice", and "Rolly" is just too cute to ignore. I'm actually hoping to buy her soon from Denver Doll Emporium, using their 4 month layaway program. She would actually be an easier buy that way. Lol. And, as you can see, she really is just too cute! The only problem is, she's just for me, I don't plan on making clothes her size and selling them, so I'm not too sure that she is a good investment currently.
FairyLand LittleFee
"Rolly" - 25cm

"Wallace", however, I KNOW I will wait on because I do plan on making and selling his sized clothing, but currently cannot afford him or find a site that has him and will allow me to put him on layaway. He is really handsome though. -^_^-

Island Doll "Wallace"
- 46cm
I plan on making "Alice" into C.C. (C2/Shiituu) from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, which means "Wallace" is most definitely going to be Lelouch. Lol. But "Rolly" wouldn't be apart of the C.G. family really, she'd just be my mini me BJD who tags along. -^_^- Ahh, dreams are nice to have, huh?

But, back to my previous topic before random tangent-ing: a BJD can be either elastic laced or hard jointed/skeleton-ed. Just putting that out there. :D

On another note, Package Day yet again presented me with another package, this time with my fiancée as he walked up the driveway to my house. Lol. He came bearing two packages: One with supplies from Zipper That Doll, an online store for doll zippers, buttons, and other clothing items; the other with the wig I bought for C.C. from the mystery doll vendor for a whole $10 + Free Shipping. I felt, and still feel, as if I should pay her the shipping, but she wont let me. :( So I have to figure out another way to pay her back. >w< Maybe I'll send her some stockings or something once I get better at making them perfect. Lol. Or complete them!! >w<

I almost forgot! Another package arrived while I was away for the weekend. This one contained my business cards, return address labels, and a matching tote bag all in the BJB style (purple floral butterflies). So, that makes for a grand total of 4 packages thus far, with possibly two more, though it may only be one. >.< Lol. I don't remember, I've lost count with my Mom Brain. Kole takes up too much of my hard drive to file anything else properly. >.< (Yes, my mind works like a computer sometimes. Lol.)

Well, 29 days left as of today, but might as well be 28 because it's late. Time to go finish something at least. Maybe I'll work on C.C.'s pajamas from a pattern I got on Etsy from AliceInCraftyland. Or perhaps I should go study my new books... o.o A bit of light reading to do... Nah, I'll sew!

C.C. from Code Geass
© BANDAI
81 and half items to go... Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

  1. Saw your link over at "Still Plays with Dolls".

    Den of Angels has specific points they require for their forum. Luckily, Junky Spot has an Obitsu forum and other bjd forums do not have as restrictive rules about the types of dolls allowed. Some strung and resin dolls are not allowed on DOA!

    Yes, your girl IS a ball-jointed doll, just the kind that is not strung. I have three of the bitty bitsu and a few of the other sizes. I also have ABS strung bjds, ABS non-strung bjds and a bunch of resin bjds.

    If you are interested in Island Doll, you should look for Baubles and Frills on Facebook. It is a shop in Denton, TX and they have Island Doll boys and girls. You may be able to do a layaway with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though DOA may have different views and such it is a good source of information and some helpful people as well...you have your good and bad with most groups. The only thing in your statement I'm not sure comes through correctly is that its a American forum, I supose maybe someone in America may have started it, but in fact it is international. DOA is a Asian Ball Jointed Doll community and as such I guess there are certain rules that such groups have. I may not agree with some of their rules, but its understandable for example if your in a Barbie community group, they wouldn't want you to bring your Hujoo or Gi Joe into the group. Oh and they do allow Obitsu in the MSD-SD sizes just not the smaller sizes.

    And on that note I totally agree with what you say! I have researched BJDs as well and the oldest history I believe dates as far back as ancient egypt. I have Hujoo's, Obitsu's Dollfie's and Resins along with Barbies and Bratz, I'm just a doll lover. It is a shame that some groups make people feel inferior and that their doll is not the ideal one, because no one has the right to determine that for anyone. What is for one is not for another. I look forward to reading more. Good luck in your business adventure, Etsy is exciting to be a part of, coming from another Etsy Seller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I was reading their rules and informations today and learned quite a bit. -^_^- The BJD for Beginners book says they are an invite only, American based forum, but they didn't say people of all languages were allowed, so thank you for that tid-bit. :)

    I was glad to find out that they accept MSD-SD sized Obitsu as BJDs. I was speaking with a DoA member previously who made me feel so inferior, so I'm a little sore about it, but glad to know that bit of information as well! Thank you! :D

    I liked Barbies growing up, but really only the ones with ball-joints, kind of funny how I ended up a BJD lover. Lol. I like the Monster High girls' looks, but not their build. They are dolls for younger girls, but they should be a little more proportional. Lol. And wear a bit more clothing. Lol. Esp. considering little girls wear Halloween costume duplicates of their outfits!! x_x

    Thanks for the luck!! I just may need as much as I can get!! ♥

    ReplyDelete