Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dolly Researching

It's been a while since I did a branch off to help those new to the BJD-hobby with their learning/research... So this entry will be dedicated to that. If you'd rather skip it, feel free, but otherwise, thanks for reading and please read on....

Lately I've been reorganizing my wishlist/doll list from Pinterest... Writing everything down and separating everyone into their size categories. (I'm OCD, so I know this isn't for everyone, but it helps me stay organized...) After I separated them though, I wrote down the 3 most important pieces of information: the height, the wig size, and the eye-size. Now, height and eye-size on a doll-page are obvious, the site lists them both in the measurements area, BUT the wig size might be a little difficult to figure out if you don't know what size wig fits what circumference of head. So here's a helpful tidbit:

Wig line shown here.
Size 3.5 fits heads 8.5-9.5cm round.
Size 4 fits heads 9.5-10.5cm round.
Size 4.5 fits heads 10.5-12cm round.
Size 5 fits heads 12-13cm round.
Size 5.5 fits heads 13-14.5cm round.
Size 6 fits heads 15-16.5cm round.
Size 7 fits heads 16.5-19cm round.
Size 8 fits heads 19-22cm round.
Size 9 fits heads 22-24cm round.
Size 10 fits heads 24.5-28cm round.

Wigs usually only fit those in their size-range, so you have to be careful to make sure you're purchasing the correct size. Sizes that are listed 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10 fit from the first range of the first number to the last of the second number, so just make sure your doll falls in those categories before purchasing. Also, not all wigs in the size range given will fit your doll. It's possible to purchase a wig in the doll's size and have it be too tight or too loose. If it's too tight, you can pin it or just purchase a new one, but if it's too big, you can attach velcro to the head to make the wig stay better. Most heads have wig lines in which you can line the wig up to, to make sure the wig is on properly.

Eyes, on the other hand, will fit one size smaller and one size larger than what your doll is meant to have. This means, if they fit 14mm, they will also fit 12mm and 16mm eyes. The pupil size changes with each size though, so it depends on personal preference as to which size you actually put in your doll. If you want them to have big doe eyes, put in a larger size; if you want tiny piercing eyes, put in a smaller size. If you have no preference, try them with their actual size and go from there, maybe your mind will change once you actually see the eyes in your doll.

Picture from BarometzBlue on Flickr
Eyes come in all ranges of sizes, shapes, and colors. The most used sizes tend to be 14mm and 16mm, but some larger dolls take 18mm+ and smaller dolls take 12mm or less.  Eyes can be full round - with/without positioning stems, half-round - with/without stems, double-sided (two eyes on one eyepiece), oval, or petal-shaped (oval with points on two sides). They can be made out of glass, acrylics, silicone, or urethane. Popular eyes are GLiB acrylics and many types of glass eyes. I've heard people say that urethane photographs better, but they are also the most expensive. I, myself, use GLiB acrylics simply because they are inexpensive and look nice once placed in a doll. My only doll with glass eyes is Talia, and that's because I have yet to purchase blue acrylics for her. Lol.  If you're looking for sites that sell wonderful eyes, try Safrin Doll or Ersa Flora. Both sites have amazing eyes and Ersa Flora does commissions. She was the wonderful artist of Shii-Tsuu's Geass Eyes. :) And when I have Lelouch (Island Doll Wallace), I plan on purchasing his eyes from her as well.

Well, that's all I have for now. I hope this helped some of you still learning or new to the hobby. :) If you think I missed anything, feel free to comment and ask, I'm sure I can help you with your questions.

Thanks for reading~! See you again soon!
-The BJD Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment